26 Jul

I don’t even want to talk about my travels home- here’s a painless synopsis (but trust me- the day was far from painless!)
I got up at 4:20 for my 6:15 flight (we’re literally 5 minutes from the airport). The first flight got of without a hitch. I even landed in Salt Lake City about 10 minutes early! That’s where my good luck ended though. As soon as we were allowed, I turned my phone on and got two text messages- one from my mom and one from my fiancé- both alerting me that bad storms in NJ had delayed my second flight.
I got off that plane and made my way to my new gate– only to find out that in addition to my one hour layover, I also had a 2 hour delay. After changing gates three times, I finally settled in for my 3 hour wait… Finally around noon, we started to board. They got halfway done boarding and we found out we had another 30-45 minute delay, and they told us they were no longer boarding. So I sit again.
Finally we board. We make our way to the runway….and stop. For nearly a half an hour. Apparently something was “clunking” under the plane. (couldn’t they discover that in the 4 hours the plane was sitting at the gate?). Finally we take off– but because of the storm, we couldn’t take a normal straight line from Utah to New Jersey– we ended up going through Canada to loop around this storm. We land safely, and luckily, the storm hasn’t hit yet. I get off the plane and make my way to luggage claim. My suitcase is about the 10th one off- score! My luck must be changing!
I forgot that I had packed for a 6-week trip (aka- 50lb suitcase, plus backpack and carry-on duffel), and now have to make my way through the airport and to the NJ Transit trains.. Not fun!
As I’m on the monorail over to the train station, I see this insane storm quickly approaching- and before I reach the station the sky opens up with constant lighting, rain and hail!
Somehow I make it to the station, and thankfully only have to wait 10 minutes for the next train. Luck was on my side once again, and I was able to manage to get my suitcase and myself on the train and get a seat.
I settle in with my book for the hour train ride. About 20 minutes into it, the power cuts out. This can’t be good…
Thankfully it turns on within a few minutes….but then the conductor comes on the announcements and says we’re going to make it to the next stop, but that would be it. The storm has knocked down the power lines and the train can go no further…there will be taxi’s waiting if we need them. Seriously? Seriously. I call my mom- who’s waiting 40 minutes away at the train station I was supposed to go into, and she heads out to come pick me up. They make all of us get off the train- on a tiny platform- in a terrible storm. My luggage and I are now tired, wet…and getting hungry. After what seems like forever, I finally get “rescued” from the train and head home.
….and yes….that was the short version of my story!

Now onto the pics- this was the longest flight I’ve ever been on- literally coast to coast, so I passed over some interesting scenery on the way- from mountain ranges, to planes to the Great Salt Lake!






Posted by on July 26, 2012 in Uncategorized


2 responses to “Flyyyyy

  1. Simple Life at the Shore

    July 30, 2012 at 11:10 am

    Oh My Dana! That is awful, awful!! Welcome back. You definitely need some rest and relaxation next to your kitties. The second shot above from the plane is beautiful. Hope to see you soon.

  2. JennyO

    July 31, 2012 at 8:52 pm

    Crap, what a mess o’ travel you had. The photos are gorgeous I hope your travels bring you to a place of rest…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: